[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:03:00

"Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 07:46 +0000, Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > While I'm currently preferring Jorge's idea to solve this issue
> > with
> > the trademark policies alone, if we wanted to go the full distance,
> > we
> > shouldn't brand our nightly builds as Haiku then, either, because
> > that
> > could be counted as a trademark usage policy violation, too. Not
> > that
> > we actually release them properly, but it's basically a similar
> > thing.
> > Maybe we should call the development versions Walter :-)
> I don't think this is a good idea.
>
> First, what goes into the Haiku nightly builds cannot result into a
> violation, because the trademark policy applies only to derivative
> work
> by third parties, and not to your own work (which the nightly builds
> are).
>
> Furthermore, removing branding would work against the very basic
> objective of a trademark, which is to clearly identify the product of
> your work by means of a distinctive name and mark.

First of all, I'm not sure it's a good idea - I just wanted to mention
it to get some feedback. The point would be that only releases are
official Haiku versions - the nightly built images might be of poor
quality that does not fulfill our standards. Mozilla does a very similar
thing, and calls its beta/testing releases differently, and only the
actual released (and unchanged) product can use the trademarked names.

Bye,
   Axel.