[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:30:52 -0700

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, of course, that's what we all think. But I'm not sure it's written
> anywhere. While it is easy to define Haiku, Inc. and say they are
> responsible for the trademark, it is somewhat harder to tell that "the
> community", or "the project" can decide which build is a release and should
> have the Haiku name, and which shouldn't. So, either we accept that the QA
> is done by Haiku, Inc. and they apply the "approved" stamp, or we have to
> decide on something clear to define how the name can and can't be used. And
> then we need a lawyer to do it right and avoid eventual problems...

I'm pretty sure Haiku, Inc. has been granted the power to determine
what quality that Haiku must achieve in order to adorn the name/logo,
nor has Haiku, Inc. been given the power to determine the trademark
policy for the Haiku name and Logo. I think it happens that in the
past, the policy (and distro guidelines) was put together by several
members of Haiku, Inc. in cooperation of several long-time developers
in the project via an "Admin Team" at the time. This concept doesn't
really exist any more since 2007.

So, I think that any changes to the policy or definitions of quality
that is determined will likely be done so by project contributors. It
sounds like you are suggesting that a team be assembled for "QA" of
the Haiku project to define when it has met the quality requirements
to be assigned the name/logo. I think this would not be a task Haiku,
Inc. needs to be involved in, other than monitoring the results.

I believe Haiku, Inc.'s role in this process is to enforce the
trademark policy or guidelines that have been put in place. Haiku,
Inc. may own the trademark, but Haiku, Inc. works for the project and
its contributors, not the other way around.

Anyhow, these are my personal opinions, but I think this is the
general consensus.

- Urias