[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 22:38:49 -0600

> Another alternative, is what i'm labeling "Customization Packs".
> A 3rd party takes an official iso/image/vmdk and inserts an archive of
> sorts into a pre-determined location inside the image file.
> When an end-user goes to install said image, Installer will display
> the Customization Pack in the Optional Packages frame. This mechanism
> could even take precautions to ensure that the system/ and other
> sensitive folders remains unchanged (aside from possibly updating
> AboutSystem, replacing haiku_loader, or similar changes).
>
> This could encourage 3rd parties to create packs that could then be
> approved by our developers and possibly included in the the official
> images.
>
> --mmadia

Yes, good idea there.

You have to realize that people create distros because Haiku is missing
something.  Like language support or applications or even changing
default settings.

Why was Basho created?  To add Japanese language support, change
settings and add-in a few additional programs.

To reduce/discourage  distros means, ( for R1 )
1) finishing off and integrating locale.
2) Updating Installer to select native, default language for the system.
3) Creating package manager & update system for Haiku.
4) Including all 3rd party apps into repos. (making it easy to submit)
5) Allowing 3rd party optional packages.

Doing the above list will leave fewer reasons to create a distro.

I actually don't mind a few distros but would not want to see
lots and lots of them appearing.

Regards,

New! Open Messenger faster on the MSN homepage
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9677405