[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 19:12:02 -0700

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 6:01 PM, scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 18:46 -0500, Dane Scott - TuneTracker Systems
>> wrote:
>>> Right now, it's not clear, at least to me, who a potential Haiku distributor
>>> needs to talk to regarding dos and don'ts.  Can someone point me in the
>>> right direction?
>>
>> It's all here:
>>
>> http://www.haiku-os.org/community/guidelines_creating_haiku_distribution

> I would assume that you could "give" away an official Haiku CD along
> with your product on it's own CD.
> That may be the easiest and best way to go.  Maybe once R1 is upon us
> we could get pre-made CDs in bulk for just such things.

I also would think that the current guidelines support this if
distributed as a separate disc. Eventually, I would hope that Haiku
will have some sort of package management that the user can select
from during initial installation (or after first boot), and at that
point, perhaps a second CD could be inserted to install custom
software. This will of course be up to the developers themselves (or
anyone who wants to contribute the code ;)

If you'd like to distribute an "embedded" version of Haiku, you could
rebrand Haiku pretty easily for this purpose.

Looking at the trademark policies for Fedora (and other well known
Linux-based distros), I see that they sometimes offer a "secondary
mark" to note remixes or modified versions of their software. For
example, we could have a "Powered by Haiku" mark or something similar.
That would let people know the underlying system is based on Haiku,
but has been modified somewhat, leaving the support and compatibility
issues up to the distributor of this customized version.

All of this needs to be discussed further and refined into a solid
policy. I think that if nobody else starts working on this, I'll try
to draw up something similar to what is already out there for other
projects. I probably cannot get around to it for a couple weeks,
unfortunately.

- Urias