[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 03:25:12 +0000

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 02:47, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First, a disclaimer: this is my personal opinion, let anyone confuse
> it with my involvement with Haiku, Inc, which among other things is
> supposed to protect the Haiku trademark. Also this is a bit long, so
> please bear with me. Now on with the show:

<snip> +1 here.

> 3. If someone tweaks an existing release of Haiku, they can distribute
> that under another name as a Haiku Remix (or whatever we want to call
> these.) The system itself can still use Haiku logos and trademarks,
> but it must be clearly labeled as a Remix at the download site. There
> should also be an alert message at first run indicating it is a Remix
> based on a particular Haiku release, and why it was created. People
> who create Remixes should be willing to work with the project or
> provide suggestions on how we can improve Haiku so that the Remix is
> not needed in the future.

My only concern or disagreement is about which settings are permitted
to be modified.

I think it should be strictly limited to
  * Locale specific changes, such as Keymap, Fonts.
  * Accessibility options (not that we have any in place yet)
  * Settings that target specific hardware, like a netbook: Screen,
Mouse/Touchpad

However, changing settings that modify the unique feeling of Haiku,
should not be permitted:
 * Tracker : Trash vs Delete, Spatial vs. Single,  Disks Icon vs.
Volumes (as there are numerous bugs in Disks Icon mode),
 * Modifier keys (Ctrl vs. Alt). The only exception I could think of
is if the alt & ctrl keys are in physical different locations on
generic 105/104 keyboards.

Another alternative, is what i'm labeling "Customization Packs".
A 3rd party takes an official iso/image/vmdk and inserts an archive of
sorts into a pre-determined location inside the image file.
When an end-user goes to install said image, Installer will display
the Customization Pack in the Optional Packages frame. This mechanism
could even take precautions to ensure that the system/ and other
sensitive folders remains unchanged (aside from possibly updating
AboutSystem, replacing haiku_loader, or similar changes).

This could encourage 3rd parties to create packs that could then be
approved by our developers and possibly included in the the official
images.

--mmadia