[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 01:26:35 -0400

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, good idea there.

I agree the Customization Packs idea is good, and I've had similar
thoughts. They could even be set up to be downloaded so that there is
no need to create a new ISO when adding them (though obviously the
list of packs would also need to be downloaded.) This of course
requires internet access, but these days I think most people
installing Haiku would have that (as long as the driver works for
their hardware.)

> You have to realize that people create distros because Haiku is missing
> something.  Like language support or applications or even changing
> default settings.
>
> Why was Basho created?  To add Japanese language support, change
> settings and add-in a few additional programs.

I certainly realized this, and mentioned it in my original email in this thread.

> To reduce/discourage distros means, ( for R1 )
> 1) finishing off and integrating locale.
> 2) Updating Installer to select native, default language for the system.
> 3) Creating package manager & update system for Haiku.
> 4) Including all 3rd party apps into repos. (making it easy to submit)
> 5) Allowing 3rd party optional packages.
>
> Doing the above list will leave fewer reasons to create a distro.

The problem is that the above is easier said than done. I think most
of us agree with your assessment and have come to similar conclusions.
But delaying R1 to try to do all the above could mean a long delay. I
think we want to avoid Haiku R1 becoming this mythical thing that is
never released, like Duke Nukem Forever. As much as we want it to be
totally awesome and perfect, it is just a first release of many, and
we need to leave some room for improvement :)

> I actually don't mind a few distros but would not want to see
> lots and lots of them appearing.

Well the good news is that it isn't trivial to set up a "distro"
(again I'm not a fan of that term), and of course it requires
bandwidth, which for most people costs money. So I don't think people
will create them just for the fun of it, or to annoy the project.

--
Regards,
Ryan