[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 00:15:58 +0200

Just because you have commit access you don't automatically get to use
the trademarks. The building of R1A1, even if done by a single person,
was done at the behest of the entire team, after proper discussion and
voting. Things done in the name of the project can use the trademarks,
but that does not mean that a developer can then go on their own and
use the trademarks. Well that is my take on it. I suppose we need to
formalize this some more.

Yes, of course, that's what we all think. But I'm not sure it's written anywhere. While it is easy to define Haiku, Inc. and say they are responsible for the trademark, it is somewhat harder to tell that "the community", or "the project" can decide which build is a release and should have the Haiku name, and which shouldn't. So, either we accept that the QA is done by Haiku, Inc. and they apply the "approved" stamp, or we have to decide on something clear to define how the name can and can't be used. And then we need a lawyer to do it right and avoid eventual problems...

Well, anyway, I'd better code. the MIT licence is more clear and straightforward for me :o)

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx