[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:07:16 -0700

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 07:53 -0700, Urias McCullough wrote:
> I suspect the positive position that this group has earned is one of
> the primary reasons there hasn't been a lot of negative public
> response yet to this issue. I believe several people have been
> hesitant to strongly criticize Basho and JPBE's decision to release it
> publicly.
>
> > My advise is that Haiku Inc. ask JPBE.net to rectify the trademark
> > violation ASAP by stopping the distribution of Basho until it is redone
> > to comply.
> >
> > If Haiku is serious about enforcing its trademarks, this is the firm
> > signal to send to both JPBE.net and the community at large.
>
> I had personally reached a similar conclusion.
>
> There has been some correspondence with Shinta by Haiku, Inc., and in
> my personal opinion, since there has not been any resolution yet, it
> needs to go to the next level.

They have now stopped distributing Basho (since yesterday) until they
can address the compliance issues, and have also published a note of
apology for the (let's say) mishap on the front page of their website.

They also seem to be planning on creating some sort of Japanese package
as a temporary measure, although I don't know the details. Personally, I
think it would be nice if this could become a Haiku optional package of
sorts; but I am not sure whether that's their target or not. Hopefully
they will share their plans at some point (although I am not sure of
that either).

HTH,

Jorge/aka Koki