[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:48:30 -0700

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 07:46 +0000, Axel Dörfler wrote:
> While I'm currently preferring Jorge's idea to solve this issue with
> the trademark policies alone, if we wanted to go the full distance, we
> shouldn't brand our nightly builds as Haiku then, either, because that
> could be counted as a trademark usage policy violation, too. Not that
> we actually release them properly, but it's basically a similar thing.
> Maybe we should call the development versions Walter :-)

I don't think this is a good idea.

First, what goes into the Haiku nightly builds cannot result into a
violation, because the trademark policy applies only to derivative work
by third parties, and not to your own work (which the nightly builds
are).

Furthermore, removing branding would work against the very basic
objective of a trademark, which is to clearly identify the product of
your work by means of a distinctive name and mark.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki