[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:46:00 -0700

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Firat Can Basarir
<firatcanbasarir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not a big fan of distributions myself. But the most important
> thing about free software is independence. I don't want to be
> controlled by any organization and, frankly, I don't wouldn't want to
> use an OS that is almost impossible to be forked.

We're only talking about a name/logo trademark issue here... just like
you can't fork Mozilla Firefox without renaming it and using a new
logo.

You can do whatever you want with Haiku, including forking it and
starting your own OS project based on it. You simply can't call it
Haiku, that's all. That's what trademarks are for, protecting the name
so it isn't confused.

Each Linux distro has its own name variation and logo for a reason...

- Urias