[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 17:57:24 -0400

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:14 PM, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It depends on who is the "yourself" behind the trademark ? If it's "the
> Haiku project" then nightlies can be called Haiku. If it's "Haiku, inc", the
> nightlies are developper work and the releases go trough the Inc to get some
> approval or seal of quality. Even if it's mostly "ok devs, we thrust you
> enough". Currently there is no such QA process on Haiku, Inc side, and I
> think most people don't want it. But it makes it difficult to tell when the
> copyright can be applied and when it can't.

In general Haiku, Inc has nothing to do with the development side of
things. Development decisions are made by the developers as a group,
possibly with additional input from other long-time contributors who
aren't developers. I will address more below when the trademark can be
used by the developers.

> If I'm an haiku developper with
> commit access, and decide to make my own distro and call it Haiku,
> technically I have the same rights as the guy that did the R1a1 build.

Just because you have commit access you don't automatically get to use
the trademarks. The building of R1A1, even if done by a single person,
was done at the behest of the entire team, after proper discussion and
voting. Things done in the name of the project can use the trademarks,
but that does not mean that a developer can then go on their own and
use the trademarks. Well that is my take on it. I suppose we need to
formalize this some more.

As many people have mentioned maybe Firefox and Mozilla can be used as
an example here.

--
Regards,
Ryan