[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:34:54 -0700

Howdy,

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 22:38 -0600, Nick wrote:
> Why was Basho created?  To add Japanese language support, change
> settings and add-in a few additional programs.
>
> To reduce/discourage distros means, ( for R1 )
> 1) finishing off and integrating locale.
> 2) Updating Installer to select native, default language for the
> system.
> 3) Creating package manager & update system for Haiku.
> 4) Including all 3rd party apps into repos. (making it easy to
> submit)
> 5) Allowing 3rd party optional packages.
>
> Doing the above list will leave fewer reasons to create a distro.

In the course of having a few exchanges with the JPBE.net guys with
regards to Basho and a possible future JOP, it has become clear to me
that:

1) While they claim on not having long term plans for Basho, the extent
of what they want, the plans that they are already making, and their
reluctance to abide by basic rules point exactly in the opposite
direction.

2) They have *knowingly* used the logos in violation of the Haiku
trademarks, as it turns out not just in their recent release, but also
in previous releases (dating back to early this year).

In the past I have defended and spoken positively for the Japanese
community for their lack of representation within the project. But in
this particular case I am sad to have to say that I think they are not
being forthcoming and have been hiding behind the blind eye that Haiku
has given them for too long.

My advise is that Haiku Inc. ask JPBE.net to rectify the trademark
violation ASAP by stopping the distribution of Basho until it is redone
to comply.

If Haiku is serious about enforcing its trademarks, this is the firm
signal to send to both JPBE.net and the community at large.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki