[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 07:53:33 -0700

(Disclaimer: I'm also out of town with sketchy internet access, so I
may have missed some discussion during the last few days)

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In the past I have defended and spoken positively for the Japanese
> community for their lack of representation within the project. But in
> this particular case I am sad to have to say that I think they are not
> being forthcoming and have been hiding behind the blind eye that Haiku
> has given them for too long.

I suspect the positive position that this group has earned is one of
the primary reasons there hasn't been a lot of negative public
response yet to this issue. I believe several people have been
hesitant to strongly criticize Basho and JPBE's decision to release it
publicly.

> My advise is that Haiku Inc. ask JPBE.net to rectify the trademark
> violation ASAP by stopping the distribution of Basho until it is redone
> to comply.
>
> If Haiku is serious about enforcing its trademarks, this is the firm
> signal to send to both JPBE.net and the community at large.

I had personally reached a similar conclusion.

There has been some correspondence with Shinta by Haiku, Inc., and in
my personal opinion, since there has not been any resolution yet, it
needs to go to the next level.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure we know what that is yet.

I think it needs to be a focus on improving the trademark policy. We
probably also need to seek some legal assistance to help with this,
and to learn how we can better enforce it.

I would hate to think Haiku, Inc. may have to resort to fighting a
legal battle with JPBE as that could end up seriously detracting from
other things that are already consuming what resources are available.

- Urias