[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:14:54 +0200

First, what goes into the Haiku nightly builds cannot result into a
violation, because the trademark policy applies only to derivative
work
by third parties, and not to your own work (which the nightly builds
are).

Furthermore, removing branding would work against the very basic
objective of a trademark, which is to clearly identify the product of
your work by means of a distinctive name and mark.

First of all, I'm not sure it's a good idea - I just wanted to mention
it to get some feedback. The point would be that only releases are
official Haiku versions - the nightly built images might be of poor
quality that does not fulfill our standards. Mozilla does a very similar
thing, and calls its beta/testing releases differently, and only the
actual released (and unchanged) product can use the trademarked names.

It depends on who is the "yourself" behind the trademark ? If it's "the Haiku project" then nightlies can be called Haiku. If it's "Haiku, inc", the nightlies are developper work and the releases go trough the Inc to get some approval or seal of quality. Even if it's mostly "ok devs, we thrust you enough". Currently there is no such QA process on Haiku, Inc side, and I think most people don't want it. But it makes it difficult to tell when the copyright can be applied and when it can't. If I'm an haiku developper with commit access, and decide to make my own distro and call it Haiku, technically I have the same rights as the guy that did the R1a1 build.

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx