[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: Dane Scott - TuneTracker Systems <tunetracker@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:00:29 -0500

Thanks, Jorge.  I had read that over but wasn't sure about the meaning of a
few points.  If there isn't an official person to ask, maybe I can just post
them here and see if I can clear them up.   This isn't to challenge any of
it!  Just want to be sure I follow the spirit of what's intended.  :-)

- " The trademark "Haiku" may not be used in your distribution's name.
Choose a distinctive name in order to avoid potential confusion with the
official Haiku distribution."

Not clear on what is meant by "the trademark, Haiku."  The word itself can't
be used?  Where can it not be used?  In the name of the distribution?

- " You are not allowed to use the official Haiku trademarks or logo."

This refers to Haiku trademarks, plural.  Not sure what that means, either.
And when it says the logo can't be used, I like to understand that better.
What can the logo not be used for?

- "You may use the official Haiku icons and artwork."

I get it about the icons.  Not sure what artwork this is referencing.

Also, are these instructions for people who want to distribute a variant of
Haiku, with changes made to it?  Do they apply to someone who would just be
distributing Haiku in an unaltered way?  My guess is no, but I want to make
sure.

Thanks again,

Dane