[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 09:47:26 -0700

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Christopher Walker
<sven.hakonsson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> However, I am concerned by the fact that the trademarks are not registered.
> If Haiku were to get into a legal dispute, this fact could make it all that
> much harder for Haiku Inc. to win. :( It looks like the US office for
> trademarks has an on-line application that could be filled out; should
> someone who is part of Haiku Inc. consider submitting an application
> eventually?

You are correct, registering the trademarks can certainly benefit us
if we ever have a legal dispute.

I took a peek at the fee schedule for registering a mark in the US a
couple weeks ago (when this topic came up) and it didn't look too
expensive - several hundred USD IIRC.

I think Haiku, Inc. should use some of the donation money to register
its marks. I don't think anyone would disagree at this point that the
marks are at least not likely going to change again any time soon ;)

If everyone seems to agree, we can probably start this process ASAP.

- Urias