[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 18:12:27 +0000

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 17:38, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, I understand all this. The problem was that I did not take from the
> question alone that there was an expectation of the JOP becoming an
> official release; but upon re-reading the whole message again, you may
> be in fact right.

Sorry, that I wasn't clear on expressing that.

> Since Haiku does not have yet a mechanism to switch languages or add
> packages at installation time, I would think that, at least for now, the
> JOP (or any other language package, for that matter) can only exist as:
>
> a) an option available at compile time or

+1

I'm envisioning some sort of build system variable, that can be
evaluated inside the alpha-* (and nightly-*) profile rule. Inside of
that evaluation statement, it would "AddOptionalHaikuImagePackages
<JOPs>", tweak settings, copy additional files, etc.

For the font they require, is its license agreeable with MIT?  If so,
I'm interested if anyone else thinks that it'd be good to include in
the source tree as opposed to an OP.

> b) as a package that can be installed after installation
>
> For now, and as a way to embrace the effort, I would suggest that the
> JOP be hosted at Haiku Files and it added to the trunk release build
> profiles.

For getting the JOPs hosted on Haiku-Files, I suggest JPBE.net
creating individual enhancement tickets that include:
 * a link to a single JOP
 * a summary of what the JOP does

Ideally, JPBE.net could eventually create a patch for the build time
setting mentioned in a).  Though, I'm not sure the best way to
implement it.

--mmadia