[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 12:46:23 -0700

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 18:12 +0000, Matt Madia wrote:
> > Since Haiku does not have yet a mechanism to switch languages or add
> > packages at installation time, I would think that, at least for now, the
> > JOP (or any other language package, for that matter) can only exist as:
> >
> > a) an option available at compile time or
> >
> +1
>
> I'm envisioning some sort of build system variable, that can be
> evaluated inside the alpha-* (and nightly-*) profile rule. Inside of
> that evaluation statement, it would "AddOptionalHaikuImagePackages
> <JOPs>", tweak settings, copy additional files, etc.

Asking out of total ignorance: in the context of the JOP, can't all this
be already achieved using the existing OptionalPackages file?

> For the font they require, is its license agreeable with MIT?  If so,
> I'm interested if anyone else thinks that it'd be good to include in
> the source tree as opposed to an OP.

The font Basho chose is called VL-Gothic, which is widely used by Linux
distros as their default Japanese font. Here is the license:

http://dicey.org/vlgothic/#license

I don't see a problem with the license, but the size of the files may be
an issue; The font family consists of two font files included, each one
being close to 4MB in size.

Another option would be to adopt the Droid font set; if I am not
mistaken, this font family has a fallback font file that includes glyphs
not only for Japanese but also for Chinese, Korean and (possibly) other
languages, and it is much smaller (the fallback font file is about 3MB).
This one is under the Apache License. If you want to try them out, they
can be downloaded from the Andriod repo here:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=tree;f=data/fonts;hb=HEAD

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki