[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 17:24:29 +0100 CET

> On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 15:23 +0100, François Revol wrote:
> > >  * SJIS2UTF8 Tracker add-on:
> > >    This add-on enable us to see file names which are created with
> > > the
> > >    Japanese version of Windows correctly.
> > >    (Windows labels files in Shift-JIS encoding.)
> >
> > And of course when they are on FAT there is no way to autodetect
> > the
> > encoding used...
>
> I don't know, but this is a real problem which in fact I face quite
> frequently when exchanging files with computer users in Japan.

Exchanging in which sense ?

If it's only a problem of copying to/from FAT drives, it might be
possible to add heuristics to dosfs.

> > >  * unzip-nolatin :
> > >    Japanese is not Latin language...
> >
> > What does this one have that is non-latin ?
> > are the messages translated or ?
>
> If I am not mistaken, it is a Shift_JIS-aware version of unzip.

I don't see what would have to be SJIS aware here... or is it the same
issue, people zipping files with SJIS names that you want unzipped as
UTF-8 names ?

> > >  * Elven Edit:
> > >    Simple text editor compatible with StyledEdit. Some features
> > > are
> > > added
> > >    (cf. BeBits)
> >
> > We already have 3 editors by default (StyledEdit, Pe, vim er hmm
> > nano
> > ?)...
> > Maybe some of those features can be merged into StyledEdit ?
> > At least the translations can be adapted to StyledEdit maybe, now
> > that
> > we have a locale kit.
>
> That would indeed be nice. With regards to the other editors, what
> stops
> Japanese users/programmers from using vim/nano and Pe is that they do
> not support Japanese input (and probably display in the case of vim).

For tty editors, I recall seeing Terminal handle things like ~ with
different bg colors until space is hit, just like it would with real
input methods, but maybe vim/nano usage of readline breaks this ?

> For Pe, I posted a bug report here:
>
> http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=16385&group_id=5154

Ah, Pe likely doesn't use a BTextView, and its view isn't IM aware.
IIRC it's mostly about handling a few more BMessages and drawing chars
temporarily with different bg colors.

François.