[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:49:11 -0700

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 00:22 +0000, Matt Madia wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 23:21, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am not sure I understand the second part though; isn't the
> > AddOptionalHaikuImagePackages directive in UserBuildConfig what is used
> > to add any of the optional packages defined in the OptionalPackages file
> > to a build?
> >
> Yes, that is correct.
> Though what I'm suggesting would make the integration of JOPs very
> tight and easy to use.
>
> What I'm suggesting is a way for the JOPs to be automatically added to
> any pre-existing image rule, as opposed to needing to create a custom
> rule in UserBuildConfig. In general, when creating official Haiku
> images, UserBuildConfig should not be used. In fact, it should be
> moved out of the way, to make certain that it does not cause any
> unexpected side effects.
>
> Some examples of the pre-existing rules would be 'jam haiku-image',
> 'jam @alpha-cd', or  'jam @nightly-vmware'.

I see. That sounds better indeed, but...

> Ok, so let's assume all of this is already implemented.
> To create Haiku-JPBE, R1/Alpha1:
>     <download r1/alpha1 source>
>     configure --include-JPBE
>     jam -q @alpha-cd
>     #done.
>
> The "--include-JPBE" would basically tell the build system to "enable
> the build system rules to download and install the JOPs".  This would
> be similar to how "--include-gpl-addons" instructs the build system to
> include additional software, no matter which target is being built.
>
> The only part that I'm unsure about is exactly where "--include-JPBE"
> should be evaluated. Ingo or another build system guru may have a
> better idea

...let's make this more generic (something like "--include-ja-lop"), so
that it is more representative of what the OP does and also to provide
the basis for a consistent syntax that could be used should the need or
desire to add other language optional packages should arise in the
future.

> > /me wonders if there is a tutorial on how to create and add an optional
> > package for Haiku...
> >
> Eh... nothing that covers it head to toe.
> The best documentation is only for creating the
> .OptionalPackageDescription file.
>   http://www.haiku-os.org/node/2525

This is definitely something. Thanks!

Regards,