[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 14:46:22 +0100 CET

> One might need to deferr actual writing of prefences
> until the installation has finshed, to avoid having them
> lost or overwritten.

Most settings files shouldn't be created anyway, apps should not
require them.

> > And, by the way, I don't like the 'wizard' approach.
> > Better let the user browse trough features in no
> > particular order and check what he wants.
>
> It doesn't have to be page-based, step-by-step.
> There are a couple of different user interface
> approaches to take:

It would be nice to be able to suggest the default lang from the
available data, but sadly most possible sources are either wrong or
never used.

For ex, DMI has an interesting section:

Handle 0x000E, DMI type 13, 22 bytes
BIOS Language Information
        Installable Languages: 1
                en|US|iso8859-1
        Currently Installed Language: en|US|iso8859-1

But well it's a laptop with a german keyboard, and an azerty keymap
anyway now.

Some USB keyboards have the lang info in the HID.

Another option is to check with the nerwork if the found IP is in a
country-specific netrange.

François.