[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 13:25:26 +0100 CET

"François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > As I am sure you understand by now, what the addon does
> > is convert an SHIFT-JIS encoded filename which displays
> > grabled into a readable UTF-8 encoded filename.
> >
> > The files with SHIFT-JIS encoded filenames do originate
> > in Windows machines (which are pervasive, btw), but they
> > can come to your desktop in a variety of ways, and not
> > just from a direct file copy from a FAT volume.

Thinking about the direct copy case, it might be nice being
able to tag a non-Haiku volume as having filenames in a certain
encoding (e.g. SHIFT-JIS) and have Tracker (or the mount_server)
ask the filesystem to transcode file names, live.

BTW,
I'm thinking all these aspects of setting up a system for a
specific locale ("JOP"-ifying?) could be done using a smart
dialog (wizard) post-install. (Which could also offer advice
on things like Ctrl/Alt, etc.)

With a post-install locale-choice wizard we could ship the
vanilla system with a set of locale packs*, even including
extra keymaps, fonts, command-line binaries and Tracker
add-ons (such as the filename-conversion add-on mentioned
in this thread). This would lessen the need to create locale-
specific distros. And avoid exposing everyone to everyone
else's locale-specific components.

Having such a wizard would ease people's lives by not forcing
them through lots of preflets -first thing-. And also offering
the language choice first in this chain of choices, so the
following choices can be made in one's native language.

*(These locale packs may/may not show as extra packages in
Installer. Installer would however not unpack them, but leave
that to the Locale wizard.)

/Jonas.