[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:15:29 -0700

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 17:24 +0100, François Revol wrote:

> > > And of course when they are on FAT there is no way to autodetect
> > > the
> > > encoding used...
> >
> > I don't know, but this is a real problem which in fact I face quite
> > frequently when exchanging files with computer users in Japan.
>
> Exchanging in which sense ?

As I am sure you understand by now, what the addon does is convert an
SHIFT-JIS encoded filename which displays grabled into a readable UTF-8
encoded filename.

The files with SHIFT-JIS encoded filenames do originate in Windows
machines (which are pervasive, btw), but they can come to your desktop
in a variety of ways, and not just from a direct file copy from a FAT
volume. In my particular case, I get such files mostly via email
attachments and ZIP files, but there may be other scenarios which I am
not aware of. So this...

> If it's only a problem of copying to/from FAT drives, it might be
> possible to add heuristics to dosfs.

...would address only a part of the problem.

> > > What does this one have that is non-latin ?
> > > are the messages translated or ?
> >
> > If I am not mistaken, it is a Shift_JIS-aware version of unzip.
>
> I don't see what would have to be SJIS aware here... or is it the same
> issue, people zipping files with SJIS names that you want unzipped as
> UTF-8 names ?

>From what I recall, unzip-latin allows to properly list files with
SHIFT-JIS encoded filenames, which would otherwise be displayed garbled
(when you look at the content of the archive).

My understanding is that it changes nothing when extracting the file and
that the SJIS2UTF8 Tracker addon still has to be used after file
extraction.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki