[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:04:16 -0700

Howdy,

Eguchi-san, thank you so much for taking the initiative!

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 14:29 +0000, Matt Madia wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 13:36, Eguchi Satoshi <satoshieguchi82@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > This is my first time to send to this ML.
> > My English is rather limited, so I would appreciate your bearing with me.
> >
> Greetings, I am personally excited to see this email.  So, Thank You
> for taking the time to write it.
>
> > So, would you tell us
> >  1) what type packages should be included in JOPs,
>
> Any currently existing OptionalPackages that was not chosen to be part
> of the alpha-* build profile -cannot- be included.  Examples are VLC,
> NetSurf, OpenSound.
>
> For R1/Alpha1, the list of existing OPs :
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/branches/releases/r1alpha1/build/jam/OptionalPackages
>
> The list of OPs in the alpha-*  build profile:
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/branches/releases/r1alpha1/build/jam/ReleaseBuildProfiles

I am confused: the very same examples that you give as packages that
cannot be included (VLC, NetSurf and OpenSounds) are in the list of
existing OPs that you point to. Isn't this a contradiction in terms?

> I understand that currently, there are no official JapaneseOP.
>
> My best guess as which ones could be accepted:
>  * Software that is absolutely required for interaction.
>     Fonts to display Japanese Characters
>     Software that provides the necessary input methods.
>     etc.

For the JOP to be of any practical use, changes to the font settings are
also needed (to display Japanese in Haiku). I know this could be a point
of contention, but it that needs to be addressed.

> My best guess as which ones would not be accepted:
>  * Software that is not required,
>     eg, waku-WAK KARAOKE, FtpPositive
>
> >  2) how to distribute applications which are attractive for the
> > Japanese with Haiku
> >     without creating the JPBE.net distribution like Basho?
>
> Do you mean distributing a version of Haiku with the JapaneseOP  or
> providing a way for japanese users to find additional software (like
> waku-WAK KARAOKE)?

He is asking for guidance on how they to deliver applications that are
not bundled with the system without having to resort to creating a
distro.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki