[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:43:10 +0000

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 16:29, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I see a contradiction in giving VLC, OpenSound, NetSurf, etc. as
> examples of what cannot be included in optional packages, when these
> very same packages have been available as optional packages for a long
> time.

Ah, ok.  This is my understanding of it ...

There was a vote for which packages to include in R1/Alpha1.  IIRC it
was open to developers & recognized project contributors, such as
yourself (Jorge) and myself.

There are numerous OptionalPackages that are available to people who
make custom builds for personal use.  However, the official images
must be built using the ReleaseBuildProfiles, specifically the alpha-*
rules.

Another way of looking at it, even though an option is available in
Haiku's build system, it does not follow that it is OK to use in
official releases. Eg, individuals can build pure gcc4 versions of
Haiku for their personal needs, but the official R1/Alpha1 was
released as a GCC 2 Hybrid.

Of course, this my interpretation of the current guidelines.

Did that help to clear it up?

--mmadia