[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:38:30 -0700

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 16:43 +0000, Matt Madia wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 16:29, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I see a contradiction in giving VLC, OpenSound, NetSurf, etc. as
> > examples of what cannot be included in optional packages, when these
> > very same packages have been available as optional packages for a long
> > time.
>
> Ah, ok.  This is my understanding of it ...
>
> There was a vote for which packages to include in R1/Alpha1.  IIRC it
> was open to developers & recognized project contributors, such as
> yourself (Jorge) and myself.
>
> There are numerous OptionalPackages that are available to people who
> make custom builds for personal use.  However, the official images
> must be built using the ReleaseBuildProfiles, specifically the alpha-*
> rules.
>
> Another way of looking at it, even though an option is available in
> Haiku's build system, it does not follow that it is OK to use in
> official releases. Eg, individuals can build pure gcc4 versions of
> Haiku for their personal needs, but the official R1/Alpha1 was
> released as a GCC 2 Hybrid.

Yes, I understand all this. The problem was that I did not take from the
question alone that there was an expectation of the JOP becoming an
official release; but upon re-reading the whole message again, you may
be in fact right.

Since Haiku does not have yet a mechanism to switch languages or add
packages at installation time, I would think that, at least for now, the
JOP (or any other language package, for that matter) can only exist as:

a) an option available at compile time or

b) as a package that can be installed after installation

For now, and as a way to embrace the effort, I would suggest that the
JOP be hosted at Haiku Files and it added to the trunk release build
profiles.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki