[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:58:58 -0700

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 15:23 +0100, François Revol wrote:
> >  * SJIS2UTF8 Tracker add-on:
> >    This add-on enable us to see file names which are created with the
> >    Japanese version of Windows correctly.
> >    (Windows labels files in Shift-JIS encoding.)
>
> And of course when they are on FAT there is no way to autodetect the
> encoding used...

I don't know, but this is a real problem which in fact I face quite
frequently when exchanging files with computer users in Japan.

> >  * unzip-nolatin :
> >    Japanese is not Latin language...
>
> What does this one have that is non-latin ?
> are the messages translated or ?

If I am not mistaken, it is a Shift_JIS-aware version of unzip.

> >  * Elven Edit:
> >    Simple text editor compatible with StyledEdit. Some features are
> > added
> >    (cf. BeBits)
>
> We already have 3 editors by default (StyledEdit, Pe, vim er hmm nano
> ?)...
> Maybe some of those features can be merged into StyledEdit ?
> At least the translations can be adapted to StyledEdit maybe, now that
> we have a locale kit.

That would indeed be nice. With regards to the other editors, what stops
Japanese users/programmers from using vim/nano and Pe is that they do
not support Japanese input (and probably display in the case of vim).
For Pe, I posted a bug report here:

http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=16385&group_id=5154

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki