[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 12:51:55 -0700

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 18:10 +0100, Sean Healy wrote:
> Jorge G. Mare wrote:
>
> > He is asking for guidance on how they to deliver applications that are
> > not bundled with the system without having to resort to creating a
> > distro.
>
> Would it violate the distro guidelines to include optional packages on
> the CD image without installing them automatically? That is, not the
> build system's "OptionalPackages" (no space), but the installer's
> "Optional Packages" (with a space).

It does not look like the guidelines contemplate such scenarios,
although I am not really sure. But even in the hypothetical case that
this were acceptable in theory, it would still not be possible in
practice at present, as the mechanisms for this to happen do not exist
yet.

> Wouldn't that provide a clear enough indication of what's officially
> Haiku and what's not? Or perhaps a "Third-party Packages" section,
> similar to the "Optional Packages" section, could be added to the installer?
>
> That way, third parties could distribute the official Haiku version on
> their CDs, with bundled third-party apps. That's similar to the way
> Micrsoft does it, with different OEMs bundling different software with
> the same version of Windows.
>
> Of course, that doesn't solve the issue of third-party apps possibly
> making Haiku look bad.

You may have answered the question yourself. :)

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki