[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 13:42:17 +0100

BTW,
I'm thinking all these aspects of setting up a system for a
specific locale ("JOP"-ifying?) could be done using a smart
dialog (wizard) post-install. (Which could also offer advice
on things like Ctrl/Alt, etc.)

With a post-install locale-choice wizard we could ship the
vanilla system with a set of locale packs*, even including
extra keymaps, fonts, command-line binaries and Tracker
add-ons (such as the filename-conversion add-on mentioned
in this thread). This would lessen the need to create locale-
specific distros. And avoid exposing everyone to everyone
else's locale-specific components.

Having such a wizard would ease people's lives by not forcing
them through lots of preflets -first thing-. And also offering
the language choice first in this chain of choices, so the
following choices can be made in one's native language.

*(These locale packs may/may not show as extra packages in
Installer. Installer would however not unpack them, but leave
that to the Locale wizard.)

I think it would be nice to have all these questions asked to the user while the installer is copying files. This way you don't have to stay looking at the progress bar knowing that the questions will come after that. This is a multitasking OS, after all :) And, by the way, I don't like the 'wizard' approach. Better let the user browse trough features in no particular order and check what he wants.

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx