[haiku] Re: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku

  • From: Eguchi Satoshi <satoshieguchi82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 08:24:28 +0900

2009/10/31 PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Things like *Emacs or irssi do have quite good methods of guessing
>> encodings.
>>
>> Maybe ICU has some, Adrien ?
>
> Bad news : "ICU converters are not designed to perform any encoding
> autodetection." (http://userguide.icu-project.org/conversion/converters)
> At least ICU can convert :
> http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4c/ucnv_8h.html#f4c967c5afa207d064c24e19256586b6
As far as Japanese, we have the way to detect the original encoding.
One of the most famous imprementations is nkf
(http://www01.tcp-ip.or.jp/~furukawa/nkf_utf8/  : only in Japanese!),
or you can refer to LV (http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~nrt/lv/).

So, when user locale settings are given, we can assume that the
original encoding is the one that is contained in the user locale
(e.g., If the user locale setting is Japan, then we assume the
original encoding could be JIS, Shift-JIS or EUC-JP).

Yours,
Satoshi Eguchi (log-1)