[opendtv] Re: What does it take to convince

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:35:42 -0500

In line comment...

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM, John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ALL of the NASA errors discovered and reported so far are in the direction
> of "reporting" hotter temperatures.  In other words, these cannot be called
> "errors" since errors would tend to be in both directions, and would be
> somewhat evenly distributed in both directions.

How many errors are we talking about? I can throw five tails in a row
and it would be totally normal and expected in any significant sample.
More likely we have dedicated bloggers looking for ONLY one kind of
error, that which supports their position, that NASA is "lying" about
hotter temperatures. If we had equally dedicated bloggers looking for
NASA errors showing colder temperatures maybe they would find even
more and balance things out.

October was still significantly warmer relative to the historical
record even after the error was corrected.

> (See also the "found ballots" and other "errors" that before the recount,
> have added votes to Al Franken, with no errors accruing to the benefit of
> Norm Coleman.)

This in the Star Tribune today.
http://www.startribune.com/politics/34701314.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

"The board confirmed that, with all the state's 87 counties reporting,
Coleman leads Franken by 215 votes out of more than 2.9 million votes
cast. After county canvasses showed a margin of 206, Coleman gained an
additional 25 votes, and Franken 16, from a post-election audit of
voting machines in 205 randomly-selected precincts."

Where did you find that only Franken had "found" more ballots? Seems
Coleman is doing better so far in the "found" department. Maybe you
are only looking for reports you like.

> NASA/Hansen have ZERO credibility on this.  They should instead be
> repurposed to trying to lower the "kill rate" of Space Shuttle missions,
> something where they tend to kill employees and others.
>
> A 3.8% (or so) catastrophic failure rate is significant, and not just to the
> families of the dead.
>
> NASA/Hansen are, simply, lying.  At least, unlike Al Gore, they haven't
> failed every science course they ever took, so they should know better.

You may suggest that Hansen has zero credibility on your meter, I give
him about 98% just because the Bush Administration tried to muzzle
him. In this Scientific American article your friend quoted below,
Christopher Booker, is called the "patron saint of charlatans". I will
take their take over yours. Booker likes asbestos also, thinks its
healthy.

So you give Hansen "ZERO" credibility I give him 98%. I give
Scientific American 100% credibility and Booker ZERO. What credibility
rating would you give Booker and why do you like breathing in
asbestos?

Lets see, Hansen works for NASA as a climatologist and speaks out
about what he believes despite pressure from his superiors. NASA has
has accidents because because various members did not speak out about
doubts as to O rings and foam break away issues so Hansen has no
credibility. Twisted logic and/or guilt by association? Lots of that
going around.

> Which is worse, apathy or ignorance?  Lying to the ignorant would be worse.

Apathetic lazy lying to the informed would be worse. It makes one look pathetic.

Bob Miller