[opendtv] Re: What does it take to convince

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 07:42:46 -0500

Nuclear winter is also a quick and efficient way to cool the planet if we have to. But I think it is good to study the alternatives first. ;-)

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
Then, it will be interesting to see if there are any "positive" effects of
the current economic downturn, as pertains to the environment.  I'm willing
to bet that it's unmeasurable.

If we want to cool the planet, all we need to do is to permit industrial
plants to emit sulphur dioxide, like they once did.  That cuts down on solar
heat transfer, and I suspect the almost elimination of this pollutant over
the last 30 or so years has permitted more efficient binding between sun and
sea.

Of course, none of the "enviros" will even consider that.  We could strike
up a few dust storms in the desert, as well.

I'm not saying that we should; I think it's a good idea to minimize the
footprint that individual humans leave on the planet.

John Willkie