[opendtv] Re: What does it take to convince

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 01:25:31 -0800

Unfortunately, estimates and seemingly fuzzy methodology.  (Not that it's
easy to do.)

And, from the Church of Jim Hansen if not merely using a NASA algorithm.

The question is: does record arctic ice mean "global warming" or "global
cooling?"

I think neither -- it's just noise.  We now have the ability to measure
temperature so accurately -- even if only at a few points on the globe,
almost all of them on land -- that we are mesmerized by the data points.
And, we spend time thinking about the "implications" when we are actually
looking at noise and trying to make sense of it.

Then, there's the leap of faith about "humans" being the cause.  They
weren't the cause of global cooling or warming previously, but we are now.
Call it self-aggrandizement and hubris.

John Willkie

From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>