[opendtv] Re: What does it take to convince

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:30:26 -0800

Oh, come on.  You must have mis-written.

"population density" and mid-to high-rises create a "heat-island effect" in
and around cities; note that, when the suburbs get a foot of snow in winter,
the nearby city will usually get much less snow.

That doesn't require population or population density to increase; it has
been known and proven for many decades.  There are even more subtle,
recently reported effects (better thermometers) of suburbs versus rural
areas.

But, Tom, the density of humans on the planet is quite low.  I have it on
good authority that the density of humans on the wet portion of the planet
is close to zero.  That takes up 77% or so of the planet, and involves a
type of substance that is very good at absorbing solar power, and which is
dynamically capable of distributing the results.

The density of humans across the land is still quite low.  Ever seen photos
of Alaska?  Canada?  Nevada?  Kansas?  New Mexico?  Mexico? Non-urban
California?  Arizona?  Texas?  Nebraska?  Montana? Idaho?  Georgia?
Oklahoma?  I can go on, but I won't incluye Western Europe in the list.

Cities certainly have effects and affects on their micro-climates.  A minute
portion of the planet is devoted to providing the base for cities.

To say that it's silly to claim -- which I never did, by the way -- that we
have no effect on the planet.  It's silly to NOT think that the oceans have
much more effect than do we, and it's ABSURD to use climate models that
don't have even a single line of code to take into account "solar
warming/cooling."

John Willkie