[opendtv] Re: What does it take to convince

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:35:53 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

> After all, the world's population has increased
> dramatically during that period as has our industrial
> activities. I don't know that this has impacted the
> climate but it certainly should not be dismissed
> given that warming has increased dramatically over
> the past 50 years.

FWIW, I totally agree with this. In spite of the fact that I find the CO2
obsession uncalled for, the outcome of that CO2 obsession is probably good
anyway. Even if it doesn't control the climate, it can reduce whatever else we
are dumping into the ecosystem, as a side effect, and of course it also helps
us conserve nonrenewable energy supplies.

Nuclear power also creates waste we don't know how to rid ourselves of,
unfortunately. Wind turbine energy comes at the price of more power lines
throughout the country, and now we're also hearing of potential bad effects on
those who live near the wind farm. Solar panels in space would be a menace too,
because that electric energy has to be beamed down to earth. Problems with
ionization of air, dangerous radiation levels on the ground where the microwave
beam is aimed, etc. So, whatever we do, it pays to be prudent. Muddle through
carefully.

There's no excuse for moving ahead with reckless abandon, no matter what
direction we go.