[opendtv] Re: What does it take to convince

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 23:17:39 -0500

Albert Manfredi wrote:
FWIW, I totally agree with this. In spite of the fact that I find the CO2
obsession uncalled for, the outcome of that CO2 obsession is probably good
anyway. Even if it doesn't control the climate...
I've read that the belching of methane by livestock contributes far more to atmospheric changes than does CO2.
Three links to relevant information about CO2 vs. methane:

Methane’s GWP [global warming potential] is 21 times higher than that of carbon dioxide:
http://www.umb.no/?viewID=22562

While atmospheric concentrations of CO2 have risen by about 31% since pre-industrial times, methane concentrations have more than doubled. ...the primary sources of these [CO2] emissions—cars and power plants—also produce aerosols. Aerosols actually have a cooling effect on global temperatures, and the magnitude of this cooling approximately cancels out the warming effect of CO2.
http://earthsave.org/globalwarming.htm

Increases in numbers of cattle over the last 100 years:
http://www.ciesin.org/TG/AG/liverear.html