[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:12:52 -0400

At 10:55 AM -0400 5/17/05, John Shutt wrote:
>Craig,
>
>Yes, I am certain.  No, 100% of the fee does not subsidize Freeview
>directly.  But it does maintain the transmission structure.  It also
>subsidizes the 5 BBC video channels in the multiplex.  I don't know if the
>independent stations and the other offerings such as ABC 1 get a free ride
>or if they pay for carriage.  But the backbone of the system was built and
>is maintained by those license fees.
>
>I will gladly admit my error if I am proven wrong. (Wouldn't be the first
>time, not by a long shot.)
>
>Without the mandated license fees, then  you would have to somehow tax
>individuals for the construction and maintenance of this transmission
>infrastructure that is currently done in the UK.  By that definition, even
>the UK model is not what you call a "properly designed DTV infrastructure"
>since it is not self supporting any more than the U.S. Interstate system.

There was a LARGE amount of money involved in the bidding for the
right to create Freeview. Not sure where this money went. And new
content providers are bidding up the cost to add their content to the
Freeview service.

Bottom line, Freeview is fully capable of being self supporting, as
would a comparable system here in the U.S. or anywhere else in the
world for that matter. Don;t the commercials pay for Free TV?

;-)