[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:37:42 -0400

At 9:22 AM -0400 5/17/05, John Shutt wrote:
>Craig,
>
>You're missing one aspect regarding the freeness of Freeview.  It is
>subsidized by the current 126.50 GBP ($232.47 USD at today's exchange rate)
>annual Colour TV License Fee.

Are you certain about this?

Those fees "may" cover operation of the transmission infrastructure,
but I doubt they cover the content. You need a license to receive the
commercial OTA broadcasters in the UK as well, but they don't get any
of those fees.

Obviously this is irrelevant here. A properly designed DTV
infrastructure should be self supporting, AND it should pay the
government for the use of the spectrum, as is the case for OTHER
private concerns using public spectrum resources.

I do not support spectrum auctions or fixed spectrum user fees. I
believe that the spectrum should be used to support an open
marketplace, and that a portion of any proceeds above operating costs
should go to retirement of the National debt.

Radio and TV broadcasting in the U.S. generate nearly $50 billion in
annual revenues, and this is only a fraction of what consumers spend
for their total entertainment fixes, which add up to more than $300
billion annually.

It is said that corporations do not pay taxes...they simply collect
them from consumers and pass them on to various levels of government.

There is no such thing as FREE TV. The consumer winds up paying every
penny; it's just difficult for consumers to understand where all of
those pennies are coming from.