[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:32:28 -0400

Bert,

A simple yes or no:  Have you watched the Bob Miller video?  Have you ever
seen a real ATSC receiver, any generation?  Brazil field test reports don't
tell the whole story, and you more than most on this list should know that.

The lack of promotion of OTA digital is due directly to the "wait just a bit
longer for the generation receiver that really works this time."  As
evidence, I simply point to the glowing reports that Sinclair gave the LG
receiver, and the flurry of media stories that came out soon after.  When LG
decided not to market the receiver, all enthusiasm died once again.

Broadcasters are not to be confused with networks, Bert,  O&Os
notwithstanding.  Broadcasters are more focused on cable carriage than they
are modulation standards.  I have no idea why.  Networks decide where they
place their content, not Broadcasters.

John