[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:16:40 -0400

Doug,

Yes it can because that is EXACTLY what I have been flapping my gums about
since 1999 on this list!  DVB-T provides, me, the broadcaster, with a huge
knob on the side of my transmitter that reads "More robust, less bitrate" at
one end, and "Less Robust, More Bitrate" at the other.  And I, as the
broadcaster, can turn that knob as it suits me, my business model, and my
terrain.

ATSC is fixed at one spot, and as has been demonstrated for the past 7
years, too far clockwise on the dial.  As we see, E-VSB is going nowhere.
The ATSC itself basically killed E-VSB with the restrictions they placed in
the standard as to how many total bits a broadcaster is allowed to dedicate
to the robust stream, and what video resolution can be used in the robust
stream.  Purely political, not technical, decisions that sunk that ship as
it slid down the slipway.

I have said for YEARS that even if the miracle chips ever became a
reality,( as they apparently have as long as a mil spec front end is used,
ala the LG Cold Fusion prototype that so far can't be reproduced by anyone
else,) it still won't provide mobile, or datacasting to mobile devices, or
the newly developed DVB-H to hand held devices.

Bob's demo showed 4 SD streams, and did not use HM modulation.  I would much
rather deliver 12 Mbps to everyone than 19 Mbps to half of my potential
audience.

John