[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:37:33 -0400

Kon Wilms wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 11:33 -0400, John Shutt wrote:
>

>>Bull, Bert.  First of all, you have zero experience at how well European
>>receivers "really" work, and second of all you have zero experience at how
>>well ATSC "really" works.
>>
>>I simply point you to www.viacel.com/bob.wmv to see how low power COFDM
>>really works.  May one day you will actually watch this demo and then run
>>down to your local Best Buy to play with an ATSC receiver.
>>

>Well here's some subjectiveness -
>
>- My uncle in Germany always complains about his crappy digital tv
>reception. This is their new tower, I'm not sure if it is any better:
>http://www.litux.org/photos/2004.10/2004.10.17-Duesseldorf%20Tower/ .
>
>- Watch how Bob deftly moves that camcorder between screens when one
>starts to experience breakup and/or freezing.
>
>Cheers
>Kon

Does he have an address?

Deftly moves camcorder? I was driving. Two of those receivers are non
diversity. If one breaks up I tried to move to the diversity screen to
see how it was faring. This was a 100 Watt transmitter in NYC from
around 400 ft. There was no line of sight 99% of the time. Multipath and
impulse noise were pandemic. We were moving. should I have had an 8-VSB
receiver in the mix?

With a proper SFN (diversity transmission) perfect reception would be
the norm in any coverage area.

The conclusion we drew from our test was that even a non diversity
single transmitter higher powered broadcast model would have allowed a
commercial mobile service that while not perfect would have been
acceptable for our customers. Of course we would not do that though.

Bob Miller