[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 14:20:53 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> A simple yes or no:  Have you watched the Bob Miller
> video?

John, a simple yes or no. Have you ever witnessed
DVB-T in its home turf, or do you form all your
opinions on promotional videos alone?

> The lack of promotion of OTA digital is due directly
> to the "wait just a bit longer for the generation
> receiver that really works this time."  As evidence,
> I simply point to the glowing reports that Sinclair
> gave the LG receiver, and the flurry of media stories
> that came out soon after.

Come now. If Sinclair were *the* sole OTA broadcaster
in the entire US, you might have an argument. The NAB
and its membership seem to continue to be more worried
about cable carriage than anything related to OTA. I
just don't buy this excuse. Where is the direct
involvement of broadcasters in getting these good STBs
to market and in promoting their OTA plants?

> Broadcasters are more focused on cable carriage than
> they are modulation standards.  I have no idea why.
> Networks decide where they place their content, not
> Broadcasters.

Indeed. So, by your reasoning, broadcasters take no
active role in marketing good STBs, no active role in
determining what programs they transmit OTA, no
apparent interest in the OTA modulation standards they
are being made to use, and yet you're satisfied that
all the blame for the slow uptake of DTT goes to the
ATSC? If I were to follow your logic, I'd put all the
blame on broadcaster apathy.

If Target and Walmart can have products with their
brand names manufactured in China, why can't the
broadcasters do the same thing? This is the era of
*ODMs*, not OEMs. As I already explained, the reality
of DTT reception in most DVB-T countries is nothing
like the promotional videos you seem to put so much
weight on. If DTT succeeds at all, it's because there
are active participants in the process to make it
succeed.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not claiming that DTT over
here can match cable or DBS. I just don't buy the
excuse that the ATSC standard is why. As an excuse,
it sounds pathetically lame.