[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:36:07 -0400

At 11:15 AM -0400 5/15/05, Bob Miller wrote:
>The SKY is falling and Murdock is having fits. Of course he is a major
>investor in Freeview so he will do OK.

This is news to me. Yes, Sky is facing some real competition. but
remember, most of these people did not subscribe to ANY service
before Sky and OnDigital began operations. It was expected that Sky
would reach some saturation level in the U.K. and clearly it was
fairing better than On Digital in head-to-head competition (if you
can call it that).

What is happening in the U.K may be a harbinger for what will happen
with cable and DBS systems worldwide. In order to entice viewers to
pay for their premium content, it is likely that the equivalent of
extended basic cable (30-50 channels of ad supported content) will be
offered in the free & clear. When that happens, Freeview and other
systems that are capacity constrained will once again be operating at
a disadvantage.

We are just beginning to see how real competition will impact the
markets for TV content. Except in the U.S. that is.