[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:15:39 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Bull, Bert.  First of all, you have zero experience at
> how well European receivers "really" work, and second
> of all you have zero experience at how well ATSC
> "really" works.

You are perfectly free to think whatever you like, John.

The truth is, if people here used the same professionally
installed antennas as they do in Euro contries, at
heights way beyond any 30' level that people like to carp
about here (we are talking about typically 5 or 6 floor
apartment buildings in urban areas), there would be no
problem with even 1st gen ATSC receivers. Over there, the
low power drives them to these installations. And also
the fact that almost everyone lives in apartments rather
than single family homes (in urban areas).

My bet is and has been that success, or lack thereof, of
DTT will not depend at all on whether you have DVB-T or
ATSC. I suppose broadcasters can make excuses if they
feel they must.

As much as I couldn't care less about football, the fact
that ABC is not going to broadcast Monday Night Football
OTA is far more likely to help speed up the demise of
FOTA TV than any modulation standard. If broadcasters
allow their most popular content to become available only
on umbillical services, it's laughable to hear them use
ATSC as the excuse why OTA isn't making it big.