[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:07:45 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Doug,
>
> Yes it can because that is EXACTLY what I have been flapping my gums about
> since 1999 on this list!  DVB-T provides, me, the broadcaster, with a huge
> knob on the side of my transmitter that reads "More robust, less bitrate" at
> one end, and "Less Robust, More Bitrate" at the other.  And I, as the
> broadcaster, can turn that knob as it suits me, my business model, and my
> terrain.

Yes ... and what I want is HDTV, not anything else. It's
good that you can't sacrifice at least the ability for HDTV
to get mobile. You can of course transmit just one NTSC
quality stream if you wish ... or one good and 7 crap STDV
streams ... but with HDTV competitors, that likely won't last.

Doug McDonald