[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 14:25:41 -0400

Craig,

Yes, that is where the viewers are, but why?  It's a chicken-and-egg thing.
Viewers have migrated to DBS and cable for two reasons:  Variety and
consistent reception.

Until OTA does something to address either or both of those issues, they
will continue to lose OTA viewership.  Maintaining a 'challenging' digital
standard doesn't address reception issues, and maintaining NTSC does not
address reception or variety issues.

Why have most of our HD viewers migrated to Cable?  More HD content.  What
is the one thing that a broadcaster can offer that cable or DBS cannot?
Delivery of programming without wires.

We can deliver HD to Comcast's cable head end with a direct feed, just as we
currently deliver NTSC via a direct feed.  We could, given the proper tools,
deliver multiple SD and an HD over the air.  The HD delivered to cable could
have a higher bitrate than the HD delivered over the air.  The multiple SD
delivered could be aimed at the DVB-H users as well as those few holdouts
that willingly spend $2,000 on an HD display yet refuse to shell out the $50
per month for HD content.

In my opinion, broadcasters need to remember that their one advantage in
this world is wireless delivery, and make sure that advantage remains
viable.  Currently, it is not with ATSC.

John