[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 03:00:42 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>I personally believe that OTA is the cheapest route to the customer, that the
>>ad part will be worked out and that OTA will flourish at the expense of cable
>>and satellite. Of course this presupposes a decent modulation and compression
>>technology and it wouldn't
>>hurt if OTA also worked for the major new market for TV, mobile and portable.
>>

>So, perhaps aside from mobile for the time being, you already have here all
>the ingredients you need.

No Albert we don't have what we need. We saw a prototype last summer,
nine months ago that would have been possibly OK. We have been looking
for a decent receiver since 1998.

>The receivers you have been testing seem to work at least as well as what Euro
>DTT users *actually* experience, all propaganda aside. And in fact, probably
>reception here is easier due to the much higher transmitter power.

All propaganda aside the receiver we had last summer, a prototype, which
we tested with the LG engineers who designed the 5th gen chip it used
present, was laughable compared to the earliest COFDM receiver we ever
tested. And I told them so. And when I asked when they thought they
might make a receiver as good as COFDM they said that they used COFDM as
a guide. They laughed at the idea of a mobile 8-VSB. They thought maybe
never.

>A service such as USDTV should have no trouble offering their fare as pay-only
>and H.264 compressed. The candidate standards for H.264 exist, and if they
>have to offer their own STBs anyway, should be no big deal.

The big deal is getting a receiver that works. A prototype minimally
acceptable receiver tested last summer is not the same as having a
receiver that works. I just got off the phone with a company in Korea
working on this problem. They are going back to LG for the Nth time to
find out what it was that made the prototype we tested last summer work.

I now am extremely doubtful that the LG HDTV set with the 5th gen
receiver we plan on testing this week has the same tech as the prototype
we tested last summer. I expect LG is using the same tech as they are
selling to other companies.  A new tuner from LG Innotech that includes
the LG 5th gen receiver. If so there may be no acceptable receiver in
the cards. I am pretty near ready to give up.

Another wasted year trying to talk to a tone deaf company with a world
class turkey of a modulation.

Bob Miller