[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:15:45 -0400

Doug McDonald wrote:

>John Shutt wrote:
>

>>I simply point you to www.viacel.com/bob.wmv to see how low power COFDM
>>really works. May one day you will actually watch this demo and then run
>>

>down to your local Best Buy to play with an ATSC receiver.
>

>John .... you are getting as bad as Bob and Dermot.
>

>John .... that demo CANNOT be compared to ATSC ***AT ALL***
>because it is much less than 19.3 Mb/sec. Mobile, bitrate
>matters, and matters a lot ... independant of power.
>And that was not a "low power" scenario .... because
>Bob never drove very far from the transmitter. He never,
>for example, was at least a few miles beyond the LOS horizon.
>
>Doug McDonald

We were using a 100 Watt transmitter! What do you expect? Of course it
worked well 20 miles out when we had line of sight. Still with a dinky
omni antenna. An SFN of such transmitters in NY would work wonders.

And the bit rate could be, with that SFN, above 18 Mbps and with MPEG4
this is not an issue.

Bob Miller