[opendtv] Re: Cable vs. Telco: What Happens When Competition Outpaces Washington Rules

  • From: Philip Hodgetts <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:13:20 -0700

At 11:56 AM -0400 5/16/05, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>  >What's to stop *any* producer today from establishing his
>>own web site, perhaps aided by a Bit Torrent scheme if he's
>>willing to trust (or pay?) people to help him out, and
>>distribute content that way? He can charge for it a la
>>carte, if he so pleases. Or offer package deals. Or make it
>>available for free, if he so chooses.
>
>And there are tens of thousands of people who are doing this. All
>legitimate, and some are making money too (although many applications
>are for marketing and product support).

Bitpass and The Strand - Venice (Program from the maker of Blair
Witch Project) attempted this just recently. The requirement to
install bittorrent  for distribution to a non-tech-savvy audience
killed the project and more traditional distribution bandwidth has
been arranged for the ongoing project.

However, I believe if the bittorrent-like tool was built into the
"set top box" (media computer) in the living room (closet) as part of
the system, it would be very viable.
--

Philip Hodgetts
Latest blog article: