[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 18:48:08 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Here is an article that talks of Italy and their transition.
> Doesn't sound too bad.
>
> http://www.satexpo.it/en/news-new.php/1?c=3D55428
>
> I will stick to my prediction that SKY will see a negative
> subscriber number this year in the UK and it will be because
> of Freeview. Germany, Italy, France and others will follow
> suit later. The SKY is falling.

Not necessarily so, in other countries. It's *far* more
similar to what is going on here than you seem to accept.
At least, in Italy it is. Even the people's attitude is
very similar to here, as far as I can tell.

They get "free" basic satellite channels, I suppose because
of the TV tax they pay. So the draw to DBS, which includes
more channels than OTA, will continue to be strong.

Fastweb costs money, but offers broadband Internet and a
zillion TV channels. But because of the DBS and OTA
"free" competition, it's not nearly as popular as cable is
here.